Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
100 posts
18,746 visits

housing assistance

What's your take? (click here)

my son and i were displaced by a fire in spfld,mass my son has heart problems etc... we

my son and i were displaced by a fire in spfld,mass my son and i are both disabled.. he has heart problems,feeding tube etc.. nobody will help us we need housing assistance asap.. if anyone has any info please ...

Talk to kitkat37

Housing assistance: Hi my name is Jessica and i am 23 with a 2 year old daughter. i currently reside in a

Hi my name is Jessica and i am 23 with a 2 year old daughter. i currently reside in a house that was passed down to my grandmother . she has no means of enough income to pay off the taxes and bills . we will be homeless very soon . i cant seem to find help with any rental assistance and have no idea of what i can possibly do . i am in such fear of being homeless and god for bid my daughter being taken away from me . if anyone has any information or help they can give me i would greatly appreciate it . Thank you so much . Jessica and Leila
Talk to Jessikah
mima54   in reply to DebbieO57   on


Debbie where do you apply for section 8 housing? I went through one right now but they charge you 29.99 to fill the application, i don't hav emoney for that. Please let me know this is my first time I had everything now i am going to be homeless
Talk to mima54


I am currently receiving Section 8 Housing Assistance with my rent. Unfortunately, they are terminating my assistance as of March 1, 2012 because they claim my son did not submit all of his bank statments during our yearly re-evaluation. I just want everyone to know who gets this type of assistance - if you don't submit all the information they request this is grounds for immediate termination. If they terminate your assistance - it's forever. You can't get it again. I was on a waiting list for 6 years. I live near Glendale,CA. Problem is they do a background check for bank accounts - they found 2 other bank accounts in my son's name. These were closed accounts. He brought proof from the bank that these accounts were previously closed. Apparently this was not good enough for the Housing Authority. I'm goling to challenge their decision. I may not win but I'm going to fight to the end. I may not win but I feel their not being fair. We submitted everything they requested. I'd like to know if this has happened to anyone else and if so, can you leave me a message or post your experience with them? Another problem I now have is my rent is going from $300 a month to $1125 a month! That's pretty much my whole social security check! I had to be hospitalized last week because of the stress of all this. I collapsed. I can't come up with this kind of money. This would take up my whole check and I wouldn't be able to pay utilities or buy food or medications. I now have to find another place to live and also don't have the money required for first, security and moving expenses --- that's going to be tough. I can't pay more than $600 a month max. for rent.    If anyone knows where I can find cheap rentals in or near Montrose, CA or Glendale,CA please let me know. Thanks.

Talk to DebbieO57


i was homeless for about 4 mo. and because of that i temporarily lost my kids to cps. the home i finally got for us i found out was covered in black mold. instead of fixing the problem i was evicted, so close to getting my kids back.... now i am on the streets watching someone else raise my kids feeling like i have nothing to offer them. i cant seem to find a place here in sounthern az to hlp me... HUD housing is shutting down, and the shelters are full. anyone have an idea????
Talk to Skweej

South Carolina Resources For Rental Assistance

Subsidized Apartments - HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants.  To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.

 -   Search for a subsidized apartment

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

 -   PHAs in South Carolina
 -   Links to PHA websites

Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.

Need advice?
 -   Contact a housing counseling agency

Other South Carolina Resources
 -   Local tenant rights, laws and protections
 -   Help with your utility bills
 -   Find units for rent in rural South Carolina
 -   Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
 -   South Carolina State Housing Finance and Development Authority - resources for assisted rental housing
 -   Search for Federal Tax Credit rental housing
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Rhode Island Assistance For Emergency Housing

Heat Assistance
This innovative program enables Rhode Island Housing’s FirstHomes customers to defer $200 a month from their mortgage payments for up to four months during the winter season, with the understanding that they will pay an extra $100 a month after the heating season is over to make up the difference. The program is free and does not increase the interest customers pay on their mortgages.

RoadHome Emergency Housing Assistance
Rhode Island Housing's RoadHome Emergency Housing Assistance (RHEHA) provides assistance to individuals and families who are facing a housing crisis.

RHEHA is designed to help Rhode Islanders in need and reduce the Rhode Island shelter population by providing cash assistance to individuals and families at risk of becoming homeless due to a short term housing emergency. RHEHA provides up to $1,200 to eligible program participants for security deposits, first month's rent or mortgage payment assistance. Applicants must be facing a temporary housing crisis, meet strict income and eligibility requirements and be able to sustain their housing costs over the long term.

RHEHA is funded and administered by Rhode Island Housing and implemented through community-based organizations, including Community Mediation Center of Rhode Island and Rhode Island Community Action .

RHEHA Rules and Regulations

Supportive Housing Program
The Supportive Housing Program (SHP) is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Each year, Rhode Island Housing applies for a grant in which partner service agencies are provided with funding for a wide array of programs. These programs provide housing with services to the homeless population along a “Continuum of Care.”

The three basic program types are:
• Safe Havens, housing for hard-to-reach homeless persons with severe mental illnesses who are on the streets and have been unable or unwilling to participate in supportive services;
• Transitional Housing, housing in which homeless persons live for up to 24 months and receive supportive services that enable them to live more independently and
• Permanent Housing, long-term community-based housing and supportive services for homeless persons with disabilities.

The intent of this type of supportive housing is to enable this special needs population to live as independently as possible in a permanent setting. 

Shelter Plus Care Program
The Shelter Plus Care Program (S+C) is designed to link rental assistance to supportive services for hard-to-serve homeless persons with disabilities (primarily those who are seriously mentally ill; have chronic problems with alcohol, drugs, or both; or have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and related diseases) and their families. The program provides grants to be used for rental assistance for permanent housing for homeless persons with disabilities.

Rental assistance grants must be matched by supportive services that are equal in value to the amount of rental assistance and appropriate to the needs of the population to be served. S+C is authorized by title IV, subtitle F. of the Stewart B. Mc Kinney Homeless Assistance Act (the McKinney Act).

Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) Program
The Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Program addresses the specific needs of persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families. HOPWA, established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), makes grants to local communities, states, and nonprofit organizations for projects that benefit low income persons medially diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and their families.

HOPWA funding provides housing assistance and related supportive services as part of HUD’s Consolidated Planning initiative that works in partnership with communities and neighborhoods in managing Federal funds appropriated to HIV/AIDS programs. HOPWA grantees are encouraged to develop community-wide strategies and form partnerships with area nonprofit organizations. HOPWA funds may be used for a wide range of housing, social services, program planning, and development costs.

These include, but are not limited to, the acquisition, rehabilitation, or new construction of housing units; costs for facility operations; rental assistance; and short-term payments to prevent homelessness. HOPWA funds also may be used for health care and mental health services, chemical dependency treatment, nutritional services, case management, assistance with daily living, and other supportive services.

Many beneficiaries receive supportive services that are funded by HOPWA or other related public and private programs. In fact, states and cities leverage approximately two dollars for every one dollar provided by the HOPWA program, according to HUD reports.

For more information on these programs, contact Lisa Sanchez at 401 457-1197 or

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Pennsylvania Resources For Rental Help

Subsidized Apartments
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants.  To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.

 -   Search for a subsidized apartment

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

 -   PHAs in Pennsylvania
 -   Links to PHA websites
 -   Questions? Email us
or call (800) 955-2232

Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.

Need advice?
 -   Contact a housing counseling agency


Other Pennsylvania Resources
 -   Pennsylvania's affordable apartment locator
 -   Local tenant rights, laws and protections
 -   Help with your utility bills
 -   Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
 -   Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency  - ask your state housing agency if you qualify for one of their programs
 -   U.S. Department of Agriculture and Rural Housing
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Rhode Island Housing Emergency Assistance Funds


Emergency Assistance Funds

Heat Assistance
This innovative program enables Rhode Island Housing’s FirstHomes customers to defer $200 a month from their mortgage payments for up to four months during the winter season, with the understanding that they will pay an extra $100 a month after the heating season is over to make up the difference. The program is free and does not increase the interest customers pay on their mortgages.

RoadHome Emergency Housing Assistance
Rhode Island Housing's RoadHome Emergency Housing Assistance (RHEHA) provides assistance to individuals and families who are facing a housing crisis.



Talk to Starshine

Durham, North Carolina Assistance For Paying Rent And Utilities

If You Can't Pay Your Rent...
The following public, private, and church organizations provide rental assistance and other services. Eligibility and funds are limited, so call first to see what is available. You may also try contacting individual churches.

Department of Social Services (DSS)
Telephone: 560-8000,

    Family (w/ children) & Emergency Services
    300 N. Duke Street

    Elderly, Disabled, and Emergency Services:
    220 East Main Street

DSS administers financial assistance programs such as TANF, Food Stamps and Medicaid. DSS also offers emergency assistance with rent, utilities, heat, food, and medical bills.

          Operation Breakthrough 688-8111 
          800 N. Mangum St. 8:00am - 5:00pm 

    FEATSS Services 688-8111 ext. 228
    (Family Empowerment Action to Self Sufficiency). 

Presbyterian Urban Ministries 220-8757
2504 N Roxboro Rd. Call for appointment.
(Housed in Northgate Presbyterian Church, 
but not part of the church.)
Serves senior citizens, disabled adults, and families with young children. Limited assistance for utility bills, rent and medication. Must provide wage stubs and receipts for the past 30 days that show at least 85% was spent for basic necessities. 

Salvation Army 688-7306
909 Liberty Street
Call office at 8 am. for an appointment. Clients must be in emergency situation or demonstrate need for help to stay in the home. Some utility assistance.

Catholic Charities 286-1964
902 Broad Street (call for appointment)
Small amounts of emergency assistance for rent and utilities. Offers family and individual counseling for a sliding fee.

Second Mile Ministry 286-3596
Grey Stone Baptist Church
2601 Hillsborough Rd. (Wednesdays 9:00am-12:00)
Line up early. Food, emergency rent & utility assistance.

Women In Action 680-4575
634 Foster Street (call for appointment) 
Serves disabled adults, senior citizens and families with children. May not have funds.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Clackamas County, Oregon Down Payment Assistance For Buying A House

The Community Development Division (CDD) works with lenders to offer the Clackamas Homebuyer Assistance Program (CHAP). The CHAP program can loan up to $14,000 to help qualified first-time homebuyers pay for downpayment and reasonable closing costs. CHAP loans are zero-percent interest deferred-payment loans.
Prior to obtaining a CHAP loan the first-time homebuyer must:

  1. Complete an approved homebuyer training class.
    Click here for a list of homebuyer training class.
  2. Be approved for primary financing through an FHA-approved lender.


  • Allow a minimum of 30 days from submission to closing.
  • Allow a minimum of 5 working days from submission to property inspection by this office. 

To be an "Eligible Applicant", the homebuyer must:

  • Meet the HUD definition of a “first-time homebuyer” which means the buyer has not owned a home during the past 3 years, or is a displaced homemaker, or is a single parent.
  • Be low-income. 
    CHAP Income Limits
    as of May 2010
    Number in Household 80% of Median
  • Demonstrate a financial need for CHAP assistance.
  • Complete a homebuyer education program approved by the County.

To be a "Qualified Borrower", the homebuyer must:

  • Have sufficient income to qualify for and support the primary debt.
  • Be pre-qualified by a primary lender.  (Contract sales are not allowed.)
  • Have good credit.
  • Contribute $1,000 in cash toward the purchase from the buyer’s own funds.

To be an "Eligible Property", the house must: 

  • Be located in Clackamas County.
  • Have a purchase price less than $304,950.
  • Meet the definition of affordable, standard single family housing (a single unit).
  • Meet property standards and pass HQS inspection.
  • Be free of chipped or peeling paint if the house was built before 1978.
  • Not be occupied by a tenant unless the buyer is the tenant.

Contacts:  Gloria Lewton or Lori Stomps, 503-655-8591.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Thornton, Colorado Listing Of Housing Assistance Programs

Assisted Living for Seniors

Housekeeping for Cancer Patients

  • Cleaning for a Reason
    Free professional cleaning and maidservice for women undergoing cancer treatments

Homeless / Transitional Housing

  • Access Housing
    Shelter, food and clothing for families and other services intensive case management and mentor support; adult education; employment services; resource information; and linkages to community partners for services
  • Almost Home, Inc.
    Rent and utility assistance, shelter, transitional housing, low-income rentals, and bilingual case management
  • Alternatives to Family Violence
    Emergency shelter in a confidential location for women and children who are attempting to leave an abusive living situation and would otherwise be left homeless
    24 hour crisis line: 303-289-4441
  • Colorado Coalition for the Homeless
    Housing, healthcare and support services for persons experiencing homelessness
  • Colorado Homeless Families
    Transitional housing from 18 months to 2 years
  • Family Tree
    Temporary housing and a broad range of services to overcome child abuse, domestic violence and homelessness
  • Growing Home, Inc.
    Homeless prevention services, children’s programming, parenting support, a food bank and affordable housing
  • Arising Hope
    Emergency shelter for domestic violence victims and their families, will also take pets on a limited basis
    24 hour crisis line:  303-280-3180

Foreclosure Assistance

  • Colorado Foreclosure Prevention Hotline
    Free professional counseling for residents facing foreclosure
    Hotline number is 1-877-601-HOPE
  • Adams County Housing Authority
    Free professional one-on-one counseling and workshops to residents behind on their mortgage payments
    303-227-2075, option 4
  • Brothers Redevelopment Inc.
    Free professional one-on-one counseling to residents behind on their mortgage payments
  • Colorado Housing and Finance Authority
    Provide a list of qualified housing counseling partners that offer foreclosure counseling and refinancing packages
  • For more information from Thornton’s Neighborhood Services, call 303-538-7600
    Foreclosure Assistance

Renters — Legal Assistance

  • Community Housing Services
    Services for individuals, primarily low-income and seniors to locate, secure and maintain housing including landlord-tenant disputes
  • Landlord/Tenant Disputes
    Colorado Department of Housing
    Provide information to landlords and tenants to avoid or resolve rental-housing disagreements
  • Colorado Legal Services
    Self-help legal information for civil legal matters, where to find no or low-cost legal help, and court information
  • Fair Housing and Discrimination
    Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA)
    Investigate claims of alleged discrimination and fraud

Renters — Financial Assistance

Note:  Financial assistance cannot be guaranteed and is based upon availability of funds.

  • Rental Assistance/ Subsidized Rental Units
    Adams County Housing Authority – Financial Assistance Program
    Rental and utility assistance as well as a wide variety of housing related services
  • Almost Home, Inc.
    Rent and utility assistance, shelter, transitional housing, low-income rentals, and bilingual case management
  • Catholic Charities
    Financial assistance for rent, utility, or other emergency needs
  • Growing Home, Inc.
    Financial assistance for rent, utility, or other emergency needs
  • For affordable rental housing options, call
    Thornton’s Neighborhood Services: 303-538-7600 or
    Neighborhood Services

Home Repair and Rebates

  • Senior Solutions Program
    Senior Hub
    Referral network of low-cost providers of handyman services including plumbing, electrical, painting, grab bar installation, yard work, etc.
  • The Safety of Seniors Handyman Program
    Volunteers of America
    Minor home repair for senior homeowners who are unable to perform home repairs due to physical or financial limitations
  • Help for Homes
    City of Thornton – Neighborhood Services
    Minor home repair for senior or disabled homeowners, must meet income guidelines
    Neighborhood Services
  • Weatherization Program
    Arapahoe County – Community Resources
    Free energy efficiency services (furnace/water heater check, insulation, energy audit) for qualified low-income residents in Adams County
  • Energy Efficiency Rebates
    Xcel Energy
    Rebates and discounted services for heating and cooling, energy efficient appliance and energy audits
  • Energy Programs
    Governor’s Energy Office
    Programs and incentives on insulation, air sealing, solar, and wind rebates
  • Water Conservation Programs
    City of Thornton – Water Resources
    Sprinkler system inspections, toilet and clothes washer rebates, free showerheads and water audits
  • Fire Safety Programs
    City of Thornton – Fire
    Smoke alarm installation and fire safety presentations for qualified seniors, disabled or indigent persons
    Thornton Fire Department
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Albuquerque, New Mexico Housing Assistance And Resources For Low Income

You may call these HUD-subsidized developments directly.

Lafayette Square Apartments
3901 Lafayette Dr. NE
(505) 881-7991

Sunny Acres
2821 Mountain Road NW
(505) 242-1361

Sandia Vista Apartments
901 Tramway Blvd. NE
(505) 298-4461

St. Anthony Plaza
1750 Indian School NW
(505) 766-5619

Montgomery Manor
4301 Morris NE
(505) 296-9023

Canyon Ridge Apartments
200 Figueroa NE
(505) 299-8066

Westwood Village
901 68th St. NW
(505) 831-1177

Elderly or Disabled Only

Brentwood Gardens
6302 Harper NE
(505) 821-0818

Encino East
414 Alvarado SE
(505) 266-7736

Encino House
609 Encino Pl. NE
(505) 247-4185

La Resolana
1025 Chelwood NE
| (505) 296-1425

Solar Villa
1135 Texas NE
(505) 266-1976

Rio Vista
770 Juan Tabo NE
(505) 293-5565

Albuquerque Silvercrest
4400 Pan American Frwy. NE
(505) 883-1068

Additional Housing Resources in Albuquerque

Albuquerque Healthcare for the Homeless, Inc.
1217 1st St. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87125-0445
(505) 766-5197
Healthcare related services for the homeless.

Albuquerque Mental Health Housing Coalition
144 Washington SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
(505) 255-3643
Services include eviction prevention and emergency housing loans.

Albuquerque Rescue Mission
PO Box 331
Albuquerque, NM 87103
(505) 346-4673
Day & night shelters, meals, clothing, employment placement and social service advocacy services for homeless men and women.

American Red Cross Emergency Minor Home Repair
PO Box 80250
Albuquerque, NM 87198
(505) 265-8514
Minor home repair for low to moderate income homeowners.

11300 Lomas NE
Albuquerque, NM 87112
(505) 332-6700
Residential support systems for people with mental retardation and developmental disabilities.

Bernalillo County Housing Department
1900 Bridge SW
Albuquerque, NM 87105
(505) 314-0200
Public Housing for elderly, handicapped or disabled county residents, Section 8 voucher programs, and housing rehabilitation programs.

Bridges Supportive Housing
PO Box 25823
Albuquerque, NM 87125
(505) 246-0944
Supportive housing for homeless single women and homeless women with children.

Catholic Charities
1202 Pennsylvania NE
Albuquerque, NM 87110
(505) 724-4670
Transitional housing program to help move homeless families to permanent housing.

City of Albuquerque Affordable Housing Hot Line
(505) 768-3400
Information on City sponsored affordable housing developments.

City of Albuquerque Department of Senior Affairs
714 7th St. SW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 764-6400
Minor home repair and home chores for senior homeowners.

City of Albuquerque Human Rights Office
PO Box 1293
Albuquerque, NM 87103
(505) 924-3380
Promotes awareness and practice of fair housing laws, investigates housing discrimination complaints.

Consumer Credit Counseling Services-SW
2727 San Pedro NE, Suite 117
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Provides education in the appropriate use of credit and homebuying.

Family Housing Development Corp.
PO Box 12862
Albuquerque, NM 87195
(505) 873-9638
Down payment and financing assistance for qualified first time homebuyers.

Good Shepherd Center
PO Box 749
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 243-2527
Emergency services for the homeless, including shelter, meals, clothing, and referrals.

Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity
4520 Montgomery NE Suite 4
Albuquerque, NM 87109
(505) 265-0057
New home construction for low income families.

Greater Albuquerque Housing Partnership (GAHP)
110 2nd St. SW Suite 304
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 244-1614
Developing affordable housing, provide counseling for first time homebuyers.

Home New Mexico
2300 Menaul NE
Albuquerque, NM 87104
(505) 889-9486
Assist disabled homeseekers with homeownership resources.

Joy Junction
4500 2nd St. SW
Albuquerque, NM 87125
(505) 877-6967
Emergency shelter for homeless and transients.

Marie Amadea Shelter
PO Box 708
Albuquerque, NM 87103
(505) 242-1516
Shelter, counseling, transportation, education (New Futires High School) GED help..

Neighborhood Housing Services of Albuquerque
1500 Lomas NW Suite B
Albuquerque, NM 87104
(505) 243-5511
Home rehabilitation loans for low income families in the Downtown, Sawmill and Wells Park neighborhoods.

New Day Youth and Family Services
2820 Ridgecrest SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
(505) 260-9912
Temporary shelter for runaway or homeless youth. Crisis shelter with counseling and referral services.

NM Mortgage Finance Authority (MFA)
344 4th St. SW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 843-6880
Provides a variety of housing finance programs for low income New Mexicans.

Noon Day Ministry
101 Broadway NE
Albuquerque, NM 87125
(505) 246-8001
Provides many services such as day shelter, showers, laundry, counseling and luncheon program for the poor and homeless.

Rehabilitation Services and Veterans Program
406 San Mateo NE Suite 122
Albuquerque, NM 87108
Operates job placement services and an affordable housing complex. Offers affordable housing assistance and other services.

Saint Martin's Hospitality Center, Inc.
PO Box 27258
Albuquerque, NM 87125
(505) 766-6876
Day shelter, clothing exchange, supportive housing, motel lease assistance and other services.

The Salvation Army
PO Drawer 27690
Albuquerque, NM 87125-7690
(505) 881-4293
Emergency shelter and meals for the homeless, along with many other services.

Sawmill Community Land Trust
904 19th Street
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 764-0359
Develops and builds permanently affordable, quality housing for persons with low to moderate income.

Transitional Living Services, Inc.
4020 Central SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
(505) 268-5295
Emergency, group and rehabilitation programs for severely disabled mentally ill adults.

United South Broadway Corp. (USBC)
1500 Walter SE Room 204
Albuquerque, NM 87125
(505) 764-8867
Homeownership services including down payment grant assistance and other financial subsidies for first time homebuyers.

Women's Community Association Shelter from Domestic Violence and Family Program
PO Box 25363
Albuquerque, NM 87125
(505) 247-4219
Emergency shelter and counseling services for victims of domestic violence.

Women's Housing Coalition
3005 San Pedro NE
Albuquerque, NM 87110
(505) 884-8856
Provides affordable housing through a two year housing program to very low income and homeless women.

YES Housing
2130 San Mateo Blvd. NE Suite G
Albuquerque, NM 87110
(505) 254-1373
Provides homeownership counseling in English and Spanish.

Youth Development, Inc.
6301 Central NW
Albuquerque, NM 87105
(505) 831-6038
Transitional living programs for homeless families

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Massachusetts Emergency Housing Assistance Programs


Emergency Assistance Program
♦ Information: 1-877-418-3308 (DHCD)
♦ Applications: Speak to a DHCD homeless coordinator at your local DTA office
♦ DTA offices that accept EA applications: EA Office Locations

For more information, click on the questions below:

What is Emergency Assistance?

Emergency Assistance (EA) is a government program that helps low-income families with dependent children, or pregnant women, who are homeless.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for Emergency Assistance, you must be a low-income family with dependent children under 21 years of age, or a pregnant woman with or without children. Your family's income and assets must be within the limits for the program. You must be homeless, with nowhere else to live. Also, you must be a U.S citizen or eligible noncitizen.

Eligibility Check

The Emergency Assistance Eligibility Check is an easy way for you to find out if you are likely to qualify for EA benefits, by answering questions online about your family, your living situation, your assets, and your income. You will see the results of the eligibility check right away, on your computer screen.

What benefits will I get?

Emergency Assistance offers temporary emergency shelter to homeless families, and helps homeless families find permanent public or subsidized housing.

How do I apply?

To apply for Emergency Assistance, you should speak to a DHCD homeless coordinator, who will help you with your application. DHCD homeless coordinators are located at most Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) offices, or you can call the DHCD at 1-877-418-3308. You will need proof of identity, income, assets, and expenses.

What happens once I am approved?

If you qualify, you will get help from Emergency Assistance within 7 days of your application. You must cooperate with the housing assistance program and do what they suggest to find safe, permanent housing for your family. If you are placed in a temporary emergency shelter, you must follow the rules of the shelter.

Useful links

Links to other web sites with information about the Emergency Assistance program.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Michigan Rental Assistance Programs

Subsidized Apartments
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants.  To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.

 -   Search for a subsidized apartment

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

 -   PHAs in Michigan
 -   Links to PHA websites

Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.

Need advice?
 -   Contact a housing counseling agency

Other Michigan Resources
 -   Local tenant rights, laws and protections
 -   Help with your utility bills
 -   Find rural units for rent  -
 -   Upper Michigan
 -   Lower Michigan
 -   Independent living centers
 -   Rentals from the Michigan State Housing Development Authority
 -   Low Income Housing Tax Credit units
 -   HOME contacts
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Low Income Housing Assistance

Housing Choice Voucher Program, AKA - Section 8

The Housing Authority of the County of Dauphin operates a Section 8 Low-Income Rental Assistance Program, which is intended to help families afford safe, decent and sanitary rental housing from private landlords. Eligible families are given a Voucher, which can be used to rent a house or an apartment from a participating landlord. Under the Voucher Program, the tenant will pay at least 30% and no more than 40% of their adjusted gross monthly income in rent at initial lease-up. The Authority pays the remainder of the negotiated rent directly to the Landlord under a Housing Assistance Payments Contract.


Families who wish to apply for any of the HA's programs must complete a written application. The application process involves two phases. The first is the "initial" application for assistance, which results in the family's placement on the waiting list. The second phase is the "final determination of eligibility", which takes place when the family reaches the top of the waiting list. At which time the HA verifies all HUD and HA eligibility factors. If the family is verified as eligible, a voucher is issued and the family will have 60 days to locate housing. When the Authority is taking applications for the Section 8 Program, it will be announced in the newspapers and through other kinds of public notification. Normally, when the Section 8 Applications are being accepted, anyone may pick up an application at the Administrative Offices of the Housing Authority.


To be eligible for participation, an applicant must meet HUD's criteria, as well as any other criteria established by the Housing Authority. Some of the most important eligibility criteria are:

  • An applicant must qualify as a "family"
  • An applicant must be within the appropriate Income Limits
  • The applicant must qualify as a family. A family may be a single person or a group of persons. Discrimination on the basis of familial status is prohibited, and a group of persons may not be denied solely on the basis that they are not related by blood, marriage or operation of law.

To determine if the family is income-eligible, the Housing Authority compares the Annual Income of the family to the applicable income limit for the family's size. Families whose Annual Income exceeds the income limit will be denied admission offered an informal review.

Finally, a mandatory credit report and criminal background check are completed for each adult residing in the household. Reports of drug related offences and violent criminal activity can exclude an individual or a family from the Section 8 Program. The results of these reports are taken into consideration when the Authority determines eligibility.


Generally, if you qualify for assistance, the Authority will calculate your income from all sources, and arrive at an annual gross income. From that figure are subtracted allowances and deductions for which you may be entitled, such as a deduction for each child in the household. In the Voucher Program the maximum amount that the Authority will pay to the landlord is equal to the Payment Standard minus 30% of the tenant's Adjusted Monthly Income. The Payment Standard is established by the Authority within limits set by HUD. If the rent requested by the landlord exceeds the Payment Standard, the tenant must pay the difference.


When a voucher is issued, the applicant will have 60 days to locate housing which meets HUD standards in regard to rent level and condition of the unit. Basically, an applicant can live anywhere he or she chooses (within Dauphin County, outside the City of Harrisburg), in any neighborhood, school district, and in any town, township or municipality which best meets the applicant needs for employment, transportation, childcare, etc.


The family obligations to the owner are contained in the lease, and include reasonable requirements, such as not damaging the unit, paying your rent on time and in full, keeping all utilities for which the family is responsible in service, being respectful of neighbors and not interfering with their right to live in a safe and peaceful environment.

Some of the most important obligations the family has to the Housing Authority are that the family must provide all required information in a timely manner; the family may not commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease; and family members may not commit fraud, bribery, engage in drug related activities, or violent criminal behavior.

Section 8 Home Ownership

The Housing Authority of the County of Dauphin is administering a new program to help low-income families become homeowners.

Under this program, eligible families participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program may choose a house for purchase anywhere in Dauphin County (outside the City of Harrisburg) and receive financial assistance for homeownership expenses (mortgage payments) for up to 15 years. For the elderly/disable there is no time limit.

Your family may not exceed the maximum gross income limits as prescribed by the program limits


  • Must live in Dauphin County with Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher assistance
  • Enrollment in the Family Self Sufficiency Program (FSS) is not required, although participation is strongly urged
  • Be a first-time homebuyer and have not owned a home during the last three years
  • At least one adult family member who will own the home must have been employed for one year prior to receiving homeownership assistance (Elderly and disabled persons do not have to comply with this employment requirement)
  • Have yearly household income of at least $10,300 (Welfare income cannot be counted towards minimum income requirement; only the elderly/disabled can count welfare)
  • Have had no family-caused violations of HUD's Housing Quality Standards within the previous year
  • Not be within the initial one year period of a HAP contract
  • Not owe money to any Housing Authority
  • Successfully complete homeownership counseling sessions approved by the Housing Authority
  • Be able to obtain mortgage financing
  • Have not defaulted on a mortgage securing debt to purchase a home under the homeownership option
  • Make a minimum initial down payment of 3% of the purchase price
  • Have a minimum cash down payment of one percent of purchase price, which is paid from the families' own resources

For more information, please contact the Housing Authority's Section 8 Home Ownership Coordinator, 717-939-9301, Extension 527.


  1. Be currently assisted through the Housing Choice Voucher Program
  2. Attend a HACD program briefing session
  3. Successfully complete homeownership counseling sessions
  4. Receive pre-approval from a mortgage lender
  5. Find a house in Dauphin County, outside the City of Harrisburg
  6. Sign an agreement of sale
  7. Bring the proposed purchase price and property description to HACD for review
  8. Have the home inspected by HACD and also by a professional inspector
  9. Go back to the bank to be issued a mortgage loan
  10. Have settlement on the property, and occupy your new home
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Howard County, Maryland Housing Assistance Programs

Alternative Home Ownership Financing Options

Those who want to purchase a home but need assistance in lowering the purchase price to an affordable level can consider co-ownership opportunities through the Housing Commission. Call 410-313-6320 for details.

Eviction Prevention

Low income renters who are about to be evicted may qualify for assistance to prevent the eviction. Apply in person at the Community Action Council (410-313-6440). Applicants must meet eligibility requirements and provide proof of income and proof of need.

First Month's Rent

Low-income persons may qualify for assistance in paying the first month's rent for a new residence. Apply in person at the Community Action Council (410-313-6440). Applicants must meet eligibility requirements and provide proof of income and proof of need.

Home Ownership Program

For information about home ownership opportunities for income-eligible individuals and families, call Housing (410-313-6320).

Loans for Home Buyers

For information about loans of up to $6,000 toward settlement or down-payment costs for first-time home buyers, call Housing (410-313-6320).

Public Housing

Income-eligible families and people with disabilities can apply for a public housing unit. Applicants must live or work in Howard County and meet specific criteria. Call Housing and Community Development (410-313-6320) for details.

Rental Allowance Program

Individuals who are homeless or renters who are about to be evicted may qualify for short term rental assistance. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements, provide proof of income and proof of need. Contact the Department of Housing and Community Development (410-313-6320) for details.

Section 8 Rental Assistance

Income eligible families, seniors, and people with disabilities can apply for Section 8 Rental Assistance. The waiting time is estimated at two to three years. Applicants are required to complete an interview for eligibility (income eligibility is below 50% of median), live or work in Howard County, and meet federal preference. Call Housing and Community Development (410-313-6318) for information.

Service Link Housing

The Community Action Council offers a full range of financial services in local housing communities. On-site staff will provide case management services to assist residents in eliminating problems and situations that cause stress. Visit our staff or call before a crisis occurs: Community Homes (410-730-6596 ext. 10); Guilford Gardens (410-381-0769); or Hilltop Community (410-313-2671).

Shelter for Homeless

Individuals or families who are homeless or who are facing eviction may apply in person at the Tubman Center (410-531-6677) on Freetown Road for temporary shelter. Circumstances will be evaluated against eligibility criteria.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Massachusetts How to Obtain Housing Assistance

This reference guide, provided by the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is for Massachusetts residents seeking information on housing for low and moderate income families and individuals. Most housing in Massachusetts is rented or sold through the private real estate market. However, there are numerous agencies and organizations that provide lower cost, subsidized housing for those who cannot afford market rate rents or home prices.

There are different types of low cost housing such as subsidized rental housing, public housing and homeownership opportunities for low–income, first time homebuyers. Many of these housing units are subsidized by the federal government, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, or non profit or community organizations.

State Aided Public Housing

Local Housing Authority Listing
Public Housing Applications and Documentation

There are approximately 90,000 units of state and federally assisted public housing in Massachusetts. Public housing developments are apartments that are built and subsidized by either the state or federal government and are managed by local housing authorities. There are 253 local housing authorities in Massachusetts.

There are different types of public housing available such as housing for families, elderly persons, and certain persons with disabilities. Supportive housing with assisted living services for elderly and disabled persons and congregate housing is also available in some cities and towns.  There is a very small amount of public housing available to single persons.  To find out what is available in each town, please call your local housing authority.

Eligibility: To be eligible to live in state public housing a household must typically earn no more than 80 percent of the area median income. Income guidelines vary from year to year and region to region. Ask the housing authority you are applying to what the income guidelines are in its region or visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website at To live in state assisted elderly public housing, you must be at least 60 years old. If you are a person with a disability, you must meet certain criteria to be eligible for state or federal housing for disabled persons.

Rent: The rent a public housing tenant pays is based on household income and whether the costs of utilities (electricity, heat, cooking fuel) are included.

Tenants residing in elderly/handicapped public housing pay:
30 percent of net income where the tenant does not pay for utilities
25 percent of net income where the tenant pays for some or all utilities
Tenants residing in family public housing pay:
32 percent of net income where the tenant does not pay for utilities
30 percent of net income where the tenant pays for some (but not all) utilities
27 percent of net income where the tenant pays for all utilities

How to apply for state public housing: You must put your name on a waiting list that is kept by the local housing authority. Applicants may put their name on more than one waiting list if they qualify for more than one program. Waiting lists for public housing tend to be long. When your name comes to the top of the list, the housing authority will contact you. Be sure to notify a housing authority if you change your address while you are waiting for a public housing unit.

Public Housing Preferences:
The following are among the persons given preference for public housing units over other applicants:
Persons who are homeless due to natural disasters
Persons who are homeless due to public action
Persons with emergency needs (such as domestic violence victims, persons with medical emergencies, or homeless persons facing an immediate threat to their health and safety)
There are also preferences for veterans and local residents. For more details, consult a local housing authority.

Federal Public Housing:  For information about eligibility requirements, rents, preferences and applications, please call your local housing authority.  You may also visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website at for more information.

Rental Assistance

Regional Non Profit Agency Listing
Rental Assistance Applications and Documentation

Rental assistance programs provide financial aid to help low-income persons rent apartments other than apartments in public housing developments. There are several types of rental assistance in Massachusetts. The three largest programs are:  The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP), the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP), and the Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP). The federal government funds the Section 8 assistance through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Commonwealth funds the MRVP and AHVP programs.  

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

The federal government provides the funds for Section 8.  Recipients receive their benefits through local housing authorities (LHAs) or regional housing agencies.  There are approximately 72,000 people receiving Section 8 rental assistance in Massachusetts.  The United States Congress periodically makes more money available to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to fund additional vouchers. 

Eligibility: Eligibility is based on gross income.  75 percent of all households selected to receive Section 8 must have incomes within 30 percent of the area median income ($24,800 for a family of four in Boston).  25 percent of Section 8 households can have incomes up to 50 percent of the median ($41,350 for a family of four).  In some instances these limits can go as high as 80 percent of median ($66,150 for a family of four in Boston) although very few housing agencies serve households with this income at this limit.  Income limits vary depending on the number of persons in the household and the region in which they live at the time they are selected for assistance.  For a listing of income limits by city/town, you may visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website.

Rents: Section 8 recipients generally pay between 30 percent and 40 percent of their income for rent. The Section 8 voucher pays the difference between the rent charged by the landlord and the tenant's contribution to the rent.
How to apply for Section 8: You may apply to any one of the regional non-profit agencies.  If you apply to one of the regional housing agencies, your name will be placed on a statewide Section 8 waiting list maintained by the Department of Housing and Community Development.  These waiting lists are quite long.  The regional housing agency lists are always open.  You may also obtain applications online at

You may also call any of the local housing authorities to find out how to submit an application.  There is now a centralized waiting list in which 43 local housing authorities participate.  You need only to apply to one of these authorities to be considered by all 43 authorities.   Additional applications can be obtained online by visiting NAHRO. You may also apply to each housing authority that does not participate in the centralized list.  Please note that some local housing authorities either do not have a Section 8 program or their waiting lists may be closed.  For a recorded listing of housing authorities currently accepting Section 8 applications, please call: (508) 778-7507 ext. 4. 

Preferences:  Some housing agencies establish their own Section 8 preferences.  Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) does not use any preferences for any applicant with an income that is 30% or less than the area median income.  However, any applicant with a higher income must meet one of the following three preferences:

Involuntarily displaced due to fire, natural disaster, government action, domestic violence, landlord action, having a disability or threats as a result of witnessing a crime;
Living in substandard housing or being homeless (such as living in a shelter or an apartment with serious code violations);
Paying more than 50 percent of your income for rent for more than 90 days.

Section 8 programs administered by local housing authorities often have a preference for local residents.  Section 8 programs administered by regional housing agencies have a regional residency preference.

All housing authority selection policies, including preferences, must be stated in their Annual Public Housing Plan and the agency’s Section 8 Administration Plan.  Both documents can be obtained by calling the housing agency or the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at 617-994-8200.

Some administering agencies collaborate with other organizations to provide special Section 8 programs designed especially for families, battered women with children, homeless disabled persons and families, veterans, elderly persons raising young children, veterans with substance abuse disorders, and persons with HIV/AIDS.  For more information, please ask your service provider.
The Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts provides rental assistance through the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP). The program is funded annually by the state legislature. State funded "mobile" vouchers can be used anywhere in Massachusetts, but "project-based" vouchers are only available in specific apartments. As of January 2004, most waiting lists are closed to new applicants.

Eligibility: Persons seeking state rental vouchers can earn no more than 200 percent of the federal poverty level.  Income limits are higher or lower, depending on the size of the household.  The following chart shows the net income limits set effective as of April 1, 2006:

# of Household Members; 200% of Federally Established Poverty Level Standard for Massachusetts
1 $20,800
2 $28,000
3 $35,200
4 $42,400
5 $49,600
6 $56,800
7 $64,000
8 $71,200
8+ Add $7,200 for each additional household member

Rents: MRVP "mobile" voucher holders pay at least 30 percent but not more than 40 percent of household income as rent. Project based voucher holders pay 35 percent of their income for rent or 40 percent if heat is included in the rent.  The voucher amount makes up the difference between what the landlord charges and what the tenant can pay. There are limits on the total rental amount.

How to apply for MRVP assistance:  All of the regional non profit housing agencies administer the MRVP program.

Massachusetts Alternative Housing Voucher Program

The Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP) was created by the state legislature in 1995. It provides rental assistance to people with disabilities under age 60 who either live in, or are eligible to live in elderly/disabled state assisted public housing. The program has Legislative authority to provide funding for up to 800 vouchers. 

Eligibility:  Applicants must be under age 60 and eligible to
live in elderly/disabled state funded public housing.  To be eligible to participate in AHVP a household must typically earn no more than 80 percent of the area median income. Income guidelines vary from year to year and region to region. Ask the housing authority you are applying to what the income guidelines are in its region or visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website at

Rents: AHVP recipients pay 25 percent of their income for rent if the rent includes some or none of the utilities, or 30 percent if all of the utilities are included in the rent. There are limits on the total rental amount.

How to apply for Alternative Housing Vouchers:  Contact your local housing authority and ask if they have the program.  For more information, call the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) at (617)-573-1150.

Other Rental Assistance Resources

For individuals and families:  The Department of Housing and Community Development manages a number of rental housing programs, information about which can be obtained by calling (617) 573-1150.

MassHousing also maintains a list of rental housing developments that it has financed. Many units within MassHousing financed developments are reserved for low  or moderate-income persons.  For a free list of their rental properties, call (617) 854-1185 and request the Housing List or you may search for a unit online at their website. 

The City of Boston operates a Metrolist, a centralized listing service of both rental and homeownership opportunities.  Contact the Metrolist at (617) 635-3321 for more information.

For the elderly:  Statewide Elder Hotline 1 800 882 2003
Massachusetts Department of Elder Affairs (617) 727 7750

The Citizen’s Housing and Planning Association’s MassAccess registry provides listings of affordable rentals and sales.

For the disabled:  MassAccess listings help people with disabilities find accessible housing.

Please visit or call the Independent Living Information Center: 1 800 462 5015

Massachusetts Office on Disability:  1-800-322-2020

For special needs housing:  Massachusetts Department of Mental Health (617) 626-8000 Massachusetts Department of Mental Retardation (617) 727 5608.

For the homeless:  Contact the nearest Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) office or call the hotline: 1-800-445-6604.  DTA will determine if you are eligible for the Housing Assistance Program (HAP) services.  If you need temporary shelter, see the list of shelter referral/placement services and the list of temporary shelters.  The Homelessness Prevention Agency providers can also help you search for housing and help you become stabilized once you have found housing.

Homelessness Prevention Resources

Housing Consumer Education Centers Listing

Housing Consumer Education Centers - On-Site Training:  The Department of Housing and Community Development funds the Housing Consumer Education Centers Initiative at its Regional Non-Profit Housing Agencies.  The Housing Consumer Education Centers (HCEC) educate housing consumers on how to acquire the necessary tools to access appropriate services to meet specific housing needs and encourage people to become or remain self-sufficient.  Each HCEC provider makes the following services available:

  • housing-related training/education;
  • information and referral;
  • mediation/negotiation assistance;
  • outreach;
  • regional-specific programming. 

For more information, please call 1-800-224-5124 or visit the Housing Consumer Education Centers website or contact the Division of Community Services at (617) 573-1400. 

Energy Assistance Programs
DHCD Energy Programs information
Call the Heat Line at  1-800-632-8175

Lead Paint Removal
Department of Public Health:

Tenants’ Rights/Responsibilities (for Private Renters)
Office of Attorney General
(617) 727-8400

Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
(617) 727-3990

Housing Related Legal Assistance

Greater Boston Legal Services:
(617) 371-1234

Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation


Housing Resources for Victims of Domestic Violence

If you are escaping from domestic violence, you should be eligible for assistance through the Department of Housing and Community Development, the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA), or the Department of Social Services (DSS); access their web site. 

Department of Transitional Assistance:  The DTA has domestic violence specialists who assist battered women with the process of obtaining benefits and services.  If you have not already done so, please consider calling the toll free, 24-hour domestic violence hotline (1-877-785-2020).  The counselors who work on the hotline can assist you with safety planning, information on accessing public benefits and other services for battered women, ranging from shelters to transitional living programs. 

Unfortunately, due to the limited availability of shelter beds and transitional programs for battered women, relocation is often required.  However, all of the battered women's programs across the state do assist their clients with housing related issues, ranging from referrals to subsidized housing and housing search to legal advocacy.

Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development: Through the Bureau of Federal Rental Assistance, DHCD operates the following program for victims of domestic violence and their families:

The Family Unification Program (FUP): FUP provides Section 8 vouchers to families with open cases with the Department of Social Services.  DSS makes all of the referrals for FUP.

Department of Social Services:  The Department of Social Services operates the following programs:

The Transition to Home Program provides housing advocacy and housing search services to families made homeless due to domestic violence.  Referrals are made through DSS, DTA, battered women's programs, or shelters.

The Scattered Site Transitional Apartment Program (SSTAP):  SSTAP is a transitional housing program for families made homeless due to domestic violence.  Referrals for SSTAP are made through the domestic violence specialists at DSS and the DTA, as well as local battered women's programs.  The availability of SSTAP is very limited and there is a high likelihood of relocation.  The majority of families referred to SSTAP come from domestic violence shelters.

Applications:  The first step in accessing these programs is to call the domestic violence hotline, battered women's programs, or the domestic violence specialists at your local DSS or DTA offices.  They can discuss options with you.  If you need further assistance from DHCD, please call 617.573.1209.
Domestic Violence Hotline:  1-877-785-2020
Department of Transitional Assistance Hotline:  1-800-445-6604
Department of Social Services Domestic Violence Unit:  617-748-2333 or access their web site.

Homeownership Opportunities

There are a variety of programs available to help low or moderate income people purchase a home.  Most programs are limited to first time homebuyers.

The State Soft Second Mortgage Program

The Soft Second Mortgage Program is a state funded program that helps households earning approximately $48,000 or less purchase their first homes.  The program requires a minimum 3 percent down payment. The state will subsidize a second mortgage on behalf of the homeowner who will also have a conventional mortgage.  For further information: Contact the Massachusetts Housing Partnership at (617) 330 9955 or on the web at  You may also call the Department of Housing and Community Development at (617) 573 1300.

Local Homebuyer Programs

The state annually awards funds to certain communities and non profit agencies that operate local first time homebuyer programs. Funds are used to make down payments and closing costs assistance loans to first time homebuyers with incomes at or below 80 percent of the area median income ($66,150 for a family of four in the greater Boston area).   First Time Home Buyer Program information.

Mass Housing

Mass Housing is a quasi public state agency that provides below market-rate mortgage financing for first time homebuyers, and other products (such as lead paint abatement and home improvement loans) for homeowners with moderate incomes.   For further information: contact Mass Housing at (617) 854 1000 or on the web at

Homebuyer Counseling

Some state and local agencies as well as non profits and banks offer courses on how to purchase your first home:

The Federal National Mortgage Association ("Fannie Mae"): 1 800-732 6643

Mass Housing has a list of homebuyer counseling agencies. Contact Mass Housing at (617) 854 1000 or

The Housing Consumer Education Centers (HCECs) provides information and services for homeburyers and homeowners.  Click here for the HCECs listing.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Mississippi Shelters And Emergency Housing

City of Biloxi

Facility Description
Gulf Coast Women's Center for Nonviolence
P.O. Box 333
Biloxi, MS 39533
Phone: (228) 436-3809
Fax: (228) 435-0513
Supportive housing
Back Bay Mission
1012 Division Street
P.O. Box 509
Biloxi, MS 39533-0509
Phone: (228) 432-0301
Fax: (228) 374-2922
Supportive housing
South Mississippi AIDS Task Force
2756 Fernwood Road
Biloxi, MS 39535-8009
Phone: (228) 385-1214
Fax: (228) 385-1296
Supportive housing for AIDS victims

City of Carriere

PRIDE (Pearl River Information and Drug Education, Inc)
714 Lakeside Drive
5 Buford
Carriere, MS 39426
Phone: (601)798-9686
or  (601)798-4508
Fax: (601) 798-4508
Supportive housing

City of Cleveland

Bolivar County Community Action Agency, Inc.
PO Drawer 180
Cleveland, MS 38732
Phone: (662) 846-1491
Fax: (662) 843-0173
Transitional shelter

City of Columbus

Mississippi Regional Housing Authority IV
P.O. Box 1051
Columbus, MS 39703
Phone: (662) 327-0136
Fax: (662) 327-4344
Tenant-based rental assistance for disabled individuals
Recovery House, Inc.
PO Box 2590
Columbus, MS 39704
Phone: (662) 329-4333
Fax: (662) 329-4380
Substance abuse treatment for women age 18 and above

City of Gulfport

Mental Health Association of Mississippi
4803 Harrison Circle
Gulfport, MS 39507
Phone: (228) 864-6274
Fax: (228) 864-1310
Permanent housing, supportive services

City of Hattiesburg

Institute for Disability Studies
(University of Southern Mississippi)
USM campus
Box 5163
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5163
Phone: (601) 266-5163
Fax: (601) 266-5114
Supportive services for homeless persons with disabilities
AIDS Services Coalition
P.O. Box 169
Hattiesburg, MS 39403-0169
Phone: (601) 450-4286
1-2-1 Haven House, Transitional housing for persons living with HIV/AIDS
Forrest General Hospital
(Pine Grove Center)
2255 Broadway Drive
Hattiesburg, MS 39402
Phone: (601) 288-4720
Fax: (601) 288-4834
Housing and supportive services for the disabled

City of Jackson

Hinds County Human Resource Agency
P.O. Box 22657
258 Maddox Road
Jackson, MS 39212
Phone: (601) 923-1775
Fax: (601) 923-3925
Case management, housing support services
Catholic Charities - Domestic Violence Service Center
748 N. President Street
Jackson, MS 39202
Phone: (601) 355-8634
Fax: (601) 960-8493
Support services for domestic violence victims
Stewpot Community Services
1100 W. Capitol Street
Jackson, MS 39203
Phone: (601) 353-2759
Fax: (601) 353-7071
Food programs, elderly and children's programs
    Matt's House
    Sims House
    Billy Brumfield House
New Dimensions Development Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 11495
Jackson, MS 39283
Phone: (601) 969-9856
Fax: (601) 969-9813
Transitional housing for single women and women with children
New Life for Women, Inc.
814 North Congress Street
Jackson, MS 39202
Phone: (601) 355-2195
Fax: (601) 354-4193
Transitional housing for women
Common Bond Association, Inc.
836 Medical Plaza
Jackson, MS 39204
Phone: (601) 371-6851
Toll Free: (888) 484-4445
Supportive housing services to homeless veterans, Shelters/offices: I.S.I.A.H House, Anthony House
Hinds Behavioral Health Services
3450 Highway 80 West
Jackson, MS 39209
Phone: (601) 321-2400
Mental health and substance abuse
Counseling for and children adults
University of Southern Mississippi � Institute for Disability Studies
3825 Ridgewood Road, Suite 723
Jackson, MS 39211
Phone: (601) 432-6261
or  (601) 432-6876
Fax: (601) 432-6974
Technical assistance to homeless persons with disabilities
Grace House
P.O. Box 68924
236 Millsaps Avenue
Jackson, MS 39202
Phone: (601) 353-1038
Fax: (601) 353-1038
HIV transitional housing case management, testing and education

City of Long Beach

The University of Southern Mississippi Institute for Disability Studies
730 East Beach Blvd.
Long Beach, MS 39560
Phone: (601) 432-6261
Toll Free: (888) 671-0051
Fax: (601) 266-5114
Technical assistance to homeless persons with disabilities

City of Meridian

Multi-County Community Service Agency, Inc.
2900 St. Paul Street
PO Box 905
Meridian, MS 39301
Phone: (601) 483-4838
Fax: (601) 482-9861
Transitional housing

City of Natchez

Guardian Shelter (City of Natchez)
PO Box 1185
Natchez, MS 39121
Phone: (601) 442-0142
Supportive housing for women who are homeless due to domestic violence

City of Picayune

(Pearl River Information and Drug Education, Inc.)
917 Goodyear Blvd., Suite F
Picayune, MS 39466
Phone: (601) 798-9686
Fax: (601) 798-9686
Supportive housing

City of Tupelo

Sanctuary Hospice House
P.O. Box 2177
Tupelo, MS 38803
Phone: (662) 844-2111
Supportive housing
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

USDA General Information On Home Repair Programs

Single Family Housing Programs provide homeownership opportunities to low- and moderate-income rural Americans through several loan, grant, and loan guarantee programs. The programs also make funding available to individuals to finance vital improvements necessary to make their homes decent, safe, and sanitary. Visit the following sites for information and/or assistance...

Section 502 loans are primarily used to help low-income individuals or households purchase homes in rural areas. Funds can be used to acquire, build (including funds to purchase and prepare sites and to provide water and sewage facilities), repair, renovate or relocate a home. 

  • Rural Housing Guaranteed Loan

  • Applicants for loans may have an income of up to 115% of the median income for the area. Area income limits for this program are here. Families must be without adequate housing, but be able to afford the mortgage payments, including taxes and insurance. In addition, applicants must have reasonable credit histories.

  • Rural Housing Direct Loan

  • Rural Repair and Rehabilitation Loan and Grant

  • The Very Low-Income Housing Repair program provides loans and grants to very low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their dwellings or to remove health and safety hazards. Rural Housing Repair and Rehabilitation Grants are funded directly by the Government. A grant is available to dwelling owner/occupant who is 62 years of age or older. Funds may only be used for repairs or improvements to remove health and safety hazards, or to complete repairs to make the dwelling accessible for household members with disabilities.

  • Mutual Self-Help Loans

  • The Section 502 Mutual Self-Help Housing Loan program is used primarily to help very low- and low-income households construct their own homes.

  • Rural Housing Site Loans

  • Rural Housing Site Loans are made to provide financing for the purchase and development of housing sites for low- and moderate-income families.

  • Housing Application Packaging Grants

  • Housing Application Packaging Grants provide government funds to tax-exempt public agencies and private non-profit organizations to package applications for submission to Housing and Community Facilities Programs.

  • Individual Water and Waste Grants

  • Individual Water and Waste Water Grants provide Government funds to households residing in an area recognized as a colonia before October 1, 1989.

  • Self-Help Technical Assistance Grants

  • To provide Self-Help Technical Assistance Grants to provide financial assistance to qualified nonprofit organizations and public bodies that will aid needy very low and low-income individuals and their families to build homes in rural areas by the self help method. Any State, political subdivision, private or public nonprofit corporation is eligible to apply.

  • Technical and Supervisory Assistance Grants

  • To assist low-income rural families in obtaining adequate housing to meet their family's needs and/or to provide the necessary guidance to promote their continued occupancy of already adequate housing. These objectives will be accomplished through the establishment or support of housing delivery and counseling projects run by eligible applicants.

For more information about these programs, or to file an application, contact the local Rural Development office in your area.

For general information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends